Tuesday 11 September 2007

An introduction to microfinance

Whilst Comunion Peru's excellent work to help earthquake victims continues, I unfortunately don't have any major successes to report. At last count we had opened eight communal kitchens in the areas around Chincha, Pisco and Ica. I'll be heading back down to Chincha this weekend with Movimiento de Vida Cristiana to pack boxes of food, clothes and so on and to distribute them. This organisation has also been doing sterling work, including organising a concert on Saturday by a major international classical pianist (who I'd never heard of; more a comment on my knowledge of classical music than his level of fame I suspect) all receipts from which will go to their earthquake fund.

I'd like to say thank you to those who have either donated money to Comunion Peru's efforts or are engaging in efforts to fundraise on our behalf. It is truly appreciated and I can assure you every penny goes to relieve suffering and help people who need it.

I'm posting a video produced by Five Talents and starring the UK Director Tom Sanderson (oddly flirting with a South African accent during the radio interview) and Charles Eve, a Five Talents Trustee and Co-head of EMEA Compliance at Goldman Sachs. It was the latter of these two gentlemen who started the ball rolling towards my eventual employment with Five Talents and secondment to ECLOF Peru.

This blog is supposed to be geared towards explaining the ins and outs of microfinance, but for good reason has been diverted to discussion of the earthquake. In anticipation of my first post on microfinance, provisionally entitled Microfinance 101, this video is a good introduction to the topic and although filmed in Uganda the realities, views and ideas observable and expressed therein give a good feel for the issues I will raise later.

No comments: