Monday 27 August 2007

A minor miracle

Miraculous.

This weekend I was down in the province of Chincha, three hours by road south of Lima. I was asked by a group unaffiliated with my organisation to help out with a census the government has been conducting in the last week in the three provinces of Chincha, Pisco and Ica. Several of my new Peruvian friends are members of the Movimiento de Vida Cristiana which at the government's behest mobilised 650 volunteers in the space of a few days to spend the whole weekend, from very early on Saturday to late on Sunday, in Chincha and go house to house, filling out one questionnaire per household on the status of the occupants and their dwellings.


The number of people who died in the whole province of Chincha, as reported by the government as of late Sunday (26th Aug), was 99 out of a total population in that province of 182,000. The miracle I refer to should be evident from the photos I took (please see Picasa link top right to view whole album). I wasn't able to be fully adventurous in taking shots for fear of being relieved of my camera so the angles are limited. However from the shot at right, you get some idea. It's difficult to describe how this view should look without having been there, but take my word for it that you're looking straight through three houses, at least. The lower of the two walls at middle left of the shot is almost all of what's left of the house on the corner of the street, which if it were still standing would take up most of the picture. Just above that wall an old lady in dark blue is visible, reduced to washing her family's clothes in the street, outside of the temporary straw and bamboo hut which for the forseeable future counts as home.

Not one of the households which my partner and I censused, approaching 50 in number with perhaps an average of 6 inhabitants each, had suffered much more than a few scrapes. Despite the fact that in my estimation fully a third of the houses were razed to the ground and heading towards four fifths would have experienced flying debris of the very heavy variety during the quake or subsequent tremors. An aerial shot of the surrounds, though impossible due to lack of a helicopter, would have shown that despite the mercifully low number of deaths, the scale of the tragedy is yet mammoth and urgent. How more people were not seriously injured or worse I don't know.

No comments: