Friday 10 August 2007

Meeting good people

The organisation I'm working for here in Lima is called ECLOF (Ecumenical Church Loan Fund) Peru. I've been seconded to them by the organisation that hired me in London, Five Talents. ECLOF's set up here includes a central office, where I'll be spending most of my time and three regional offices, one in the northern suburb of Lima, one in the southern and one outside of Lima down near Lake Titicaca (the highest commercially navigable lake in the world, so they tell me). In each of the regional offices, between one and five credit analysts meet clients, provide business training and moral support and of course cash.

I've been spending this week in the two suburbs of Lima, following the credit analysts around as they visit clients. It's been a humbling experience to witness both the work the credit analysts perform day in, day out in uncomfortable conditions, as well as witnessing the habitats of our clients. These run the gamut from those who have the basic necessities of a decent amount of space, four walls with a solid roof, running water and waste disposal services to those who live in shacks to which a stiff wind would pose a problem, to which water has to be brought by tanker (not by the government but by enterprising private individuals) and whose toilets are communal outhouses.

At the end of each day this week, I've been able to come home to my brand new apartment in a quiet area of the swankiest part of town. Those clients are still in their little abodes in the hills around Lima probably somewhat cold as the evenings close in. And the credit analysts also live out in the burbs in (obviously) much better conditions than most of our clients, but probably still in areas that many of us would find difficult to cope with. I've met a few people over the years I've thought were doing virtuous work. These credit analysts rank with the best of them. A lesson in humility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up old salt - the paucity of comments thus far reflects not at all the interestingness of what you write - but quite possibly the feeling that those of us still rooted in the developed world are a little awed and thus speechless - I say awed - I mean, as you sort of imply, it is hard to relate to such a different environment. From my own very little experience of such things, it is tremendously easy to underestimate, I think, just how large the gulf is between more and less fortunate people's lives.

So what is your actual relation to the credit analysts? Are you providing business support to them? I know you've told me this sort of thing already but I'm trying to tie in what I remember to what you've written here.

Uxbridge is still ghastly, btw.
But otherwise most things are well.

Best wishes, will try to write more soon.

Erik said...

Mr Brenner, your comments and questions are apt and have brought about the realisation that there are some further clarifying entries required. They are forthcoming.